Thursday, September 10, 2009

Avocodos and Water Pumps

Walking down Main Street today – the Central Business District, which is about ¼ km long, has no stop lights/stop signs/major intersections – I noted some of the unusual ways things are done in Australia (at least up here on Tamborine Mountain). Did you know that you could get your dry cleaning done at the post office? They sell kids’ arts and crafts there too.

My office is in a building that is occupied by an acupuncturist, myself the chiropractor, a natural remedies health center, and an MD general practitioner (whom I’m told will you give you the medical option, the alternative option, and the ‘crazy out there’ option to address your health). But here’s the kicker, right next door to our offices is a dog-washing hut. You can get Fido bathed for only $15 with a hose on the side of the building. Rhoda, a lively 94-year-old, who will talk your ear off if you sit down with her for a cup of tea, owns the building next door; and later you can buy a few bars of homemade soap from her.

On my way to The Spice of Life, my regular coffee joint I passed the mechanic - 30th anniversary last week as I celebrated my 1-month anniversary in town. Parked in front of his garage today was an immaculate, white, classic Porsche 911, mid-1990s. Parked across the street, a vintage VW bus, white and purple, and all shiny with a fresh coat of wax.

Heading back from grabbing my ‘flat white’ (what they call an espresso with steamed-milk here – which is strange because they also have a café late. What’s the difference?) I walked past the pump company. They sell Grundfros pumps, which I used to use in my earlier days as an environmental scientist and they use here to pump fresh water wells. If you stop in for a chat you can also buy a bag of avocadoes: 3 for $2.

Stopped at the bank on the way home today. Had to deposit money – first time I’ve had to do so (sadly). Spent about 5 minutes perusing the ATM machine and finally ventured inside to the teller to inquire as how to make a deposit. Where are the envelopes? Is it like B of A where you just insert the cash? Nope. Evidently, you press the button for deposit, enter your amount you plan to deposit, and the machine actually spits out a deposit slip and an envelope for you. Who would have thought? And then, you just have to put your money in the envelope, seal it, and insert it right back from whence it came. Ingenious.

Each day I’m reminded how this isn’t really that different from home but at the same time, it’s nothing like it.

2 comments:

  1. You're living and practicing in Oz now? John Blenio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, grundfos pump sighting is a strange omen, but then again I was buying 1/2 inch PVC pieces and parts today at Home Depot and thought of you...(picked up some good home repair skills at Ransom!!).

    ReplyDelete